Online slot games are some of the most popular casino games around today. They are the simplest games to play in a contemporary online casino – digitized variations of traditional fruit machines.
Online slot games feature spinning reels, bright colors and different themes. Once you place a wager, you spin the reels and wait for the symbols on the reels to stop. The symbols on the payline will determine your winning. Popular themes include fairytales, ancient civilizations, and video games, among many others.
These games feature distinctive plots, characters, symbols, and top-notch music and graphics. You can also enjoy amazing bonus deals and a user-friendly interface.
How Do Online Slots Work?
The basis of every online slot game is randomness. In all online slot games, there is a random number generator (RNG) – computer software that produces random numbers that determine the result of each spin. With an RNG, it is impossible to predict the outcome of a game based on past wins or losses. Hence, the RNG helps to ensure fairness in every game.
Usually, online slot games have three or more reels. Every reel has a symbol with a particular value given to it. Once you spin, the RNG generates hundreds of numbers within a milli-second. A final set of random numbers will be displayed on the device screen once the spinning stops. The number you find on the symbols and how they are arranged determine whether you have won or not.
How to Play Slot Games
- Choose A reliable and reputable casino site
The first step to playing online slots is selecting a secure and trustworthy casino. There are thousands of casino sites, and not all these websites are safe. Therefore, it is important you carry out thorough research before selecting an online casino. Ensure you choose a casino with a good reputation and a large variety of slot games to have the best gaming experience.
- Register and review the terms and conditions
After selecting a safe casino, the next step is to open a player account to access the games. However, before creating an account with a casino site, you should check the terms of the casino site to know whether it suits you.
- Select your desired slot game
Online slot games each have peculiar characteristics and rules. Before choosing a game, familiarize yourself with the rules and strategies of playing and the payout percentage of the game. Also, it is important you check the paytable for every game; it will help you understand the value of each symbol and what you should be on the lookout for.
- Decide your bet limit
The next step after you have chosen your preferred slot game is to determine the amount you want to wager on each slot. Select your bet amount, but keep an eye on your spending while gaming. Only risk an amount you can afford to lose, and set a budget. Stop playing once you’ve exhausted your budget.
Categories of Online Slots
Casino sites offer gamers a larger variety of slot machines than traditional casinos do. Every slot comes with distinct features, such as symbols, paytables, bonuses, and so on. The following are the types of slots you can find at an online casino.
Classic slots have three or five reels and feature a single payline that runs horizontally. Gamers who value simplicity are advised to try this type of slot. The design of classic slots closely resembles the first set of slot machines you can find in a physical casino. Classic slots feature wilds, cards, free spins, and fruits.
- Three-reel slots: Three-reel slot machines are designed after the classic fruit machines with graphics featuring images like shining gold bars and cherries. Three-reel slots have one payline, and do not have symbols like scatters or bonus rounds. Three-reel slots are the ideal option for beginners due to their simplicity. To win a three-reel slot, you must land three matching symbols.
- FIve-reel slots: The five-reel slot has more features than the three-reel slot. Five-reel slots offer gamers features like scatter, wilds, bonus games, and free spins. Unlike three-reel slots, five-reel slots have more than one payline. This game follows the same strategy as three-reel slots, although you have to match five symbols to win.
Multi-payline slots are more entertaining as they are known for offering players many paylines. Usually, you can find between nine and 100 paylines in a multi-payline slot machine. The direction of the payline is not limited to horizontal; it could be zigzagging, vertical, or diagonal. This type of slot can be confusing for beginners.
3D online slots offer more entertaining games as they feature amazing characters and narratives that deepen the gameplay and boost the chance of raking in more winnings. You may choose from a wide variety of designs and themes on 3D slots, so you will not get bored! In addition, 3D slots offer high-end audio, animation, and aesthetics that will keep you entertained while playing.
Progressive jackpot slots
Progressive jackpot slot games are known for having enormous bonus payouts that get bigger with each spin of the reels. The jackpot value in these games is not fixed, but increases with a percentage of each wager until it is claimed. Hence, the rewards of progressive slots usually reach millions of dollars. In a progressive jackpot game, the jackpot payout resets back to its initial value whenever someone wins it.
This online slot frequently uses themes from popular films and animated television shows. Three or five paylines are the norm for this slot. These games have extra features, including wild symbols that you substitute for other symbols, bonus rounds, and bonus spins. Moreover, you can use additional scatter symbols to win money or additional spins.
Megaways slots are based on the mega-ways random reel modifier. It modifies the number of symbols that every reel displays while spinning. Gamers have thousands of potential winning chances available to them. A typical Megaways slot machine features up to seven symbols and six reels.
Features Of Online Slot Games
Exciting features increase the enjoyment level for players. These features include scatters, bonus rounds, wilds, and many more. These are a few of the standard features that are present in the majority of slot games.
A wild symbol can be used to replace any other standard symbols to create winning lines. Usually, combinations with a wild symbol multiply the winning sum by two or 10. Where you have three or more wild symbols in a row, the win is usually bigger. The following are the different categories of wild symbol:
- Demolition wild: Three-reels slots usually feature this type of wild symbol. A demolition wild is any symbol that comes up in the middle of two wild symbols from any direction – diagonally, vertically, or horizontally.
- Expanding wild: This is one of the distinctive characteristics of the Starburst slot developed by NetEnt. The star sign expands to fill the whole reel when it shows up anywhere on a three-reel slot. After that, it stays put until it triggers a re-spin. Occasionally, it can trigger up to three re-spins.
- Sticky and moving wild:During a set number of spins, a sticky wild remains in the same spot. On the other hand, a moving wild shifts from one spot to the other after a spin until it completely vanishes from the reels.
A scatter symbol gets its name because it can function everywhere. Regular symbols must be on the payline or on adjacent reels to work effectively. On the other hand, scatters are useful all across the board, anytime and anywhere.
Usually, three or more scatters are needed to activate other bonus rounds or free spin features. Moreover, you can occasionally receive a scatter payment in the form of a bonus. Scatters are often the symbol with the biggest payouts, and most times, they feature a symbol that reflects the overall concept of the game.
This is one of the most popular and straightforward features in slot games. Free spins are a beneficial feature that provide players with many extra spins to boost their chances of winning rewards. A free spin round can be triggered in a number of ways, such as when three or more matching symbols appear in a row on any of the reels. The player will receive a specific number of spins; the number of spins varies depending on the game.
These symbols look like question marks and hide the symbol underneath. Before you get the rewards, all the question marks are flipped over to show matching images. Mystery symbols occasionally result in thrilling rewards when placed properly.
If you do not want to actively engage in online slots, you may simply sit back and observe the spinning reels. Autoplay is created for that purpose. Also, if you are losing or you have made a significant win, you can use the auto-play feature to end the game.
Players make use of win boosters to increase the cash payouts. Win boosters are features like re-spins, multiplier, and nudge. These features can multiply your wins and give you more chances of winning. To create a winning combination, a win booster begins to appear on the screen, followed by an explosion. Then, new symbols start to tumble in their place.
Important Terms You Must Know When Playing Online Slots
Return to player percentage (RTP)
RTP is the amount of payback a player gets for playing a game, and it is usually expressed as a percentage. The RTP lets players know the house edge of a casino game. The house edge simply means the profit for the online casino. For instance, a slot game displaying an RTP of 95% simply means players should expect a return of 95% of their bet money while the remaining 5% stands as the house edge. Hence, when you want to play slot games, ensure you select games with high RTP.
In online slots, volatility is used to describe the possibility of winning or losing a wager. It gives the player a hint on how frequently or rarely they can anticipate winning from a slot game. Volatility can either be low or high.
- High volatility: High-volatility slot games are known to be risky with irregular payouts. This type of slot does not usually give a payout, but when they do, players can win up to 4,000-10,000x of their initial bet. Hence, they are most suitable for high-roller players who hope to win millions of dollars.
- Low volatility: Low volatility online slots lack a large prize. Although they offer players the opportunity to enjoy steady wins, the rewards are much smaller when compared to high-volatility games.
The paytable lists the awards and payouts that a particular slot game gives to players. It also includes additional information on any extra features like bonuses and jackpots. Additionally, it gives a summary of the wagering requirements, the rules of the game, and the number of paylines. Paytables come in a variety of styles; some paytables include images that make them simple to read for players to quickly understand the essential details quickly.
Generally, paylines are straightforward. A payline is a group of symbols that determine q payout. Paylines can go diagonally, vertically, horizontally, or in a zigzag pattern.
Best Slot Games To Play
Starburst is a casino slot game developed by reputable gaming software provider NetEnt. Little wonder it is a must-have on the list of top casino slot games. Both new and existing players love to play Starburst due to its generous payout and user-friendly interface. Starburst is a low-volatility game that results in more frequent wins. You can also find features that enhance your prize on Starburst.
- Large betting options
- Huge payouts
- Does not give free spins
- Mega Moolah
Mega Moolah is a five-reel, three-row slot game with a top-notch graphic interface. It was released by the Microgaming software provider in 2006. Players can enjoy 15 free spins and 25 paylines with this slot. Mega Moolah is a jingle-themed slot that offers player scatter symbols and jackpots of millions of dollars.
- Amazing progressive jackpot
- Exciting bonus offers
- Interesting themes
- Nof free games
Zeus is a five-reel slot with 30 paylines. This Ancient Greece-themed slot was created by WMS. Zeus is one of the most competitive online slot games as it provides bonus features that help players to win more free spins. Also, it features excellent graphics and sounds that make it stand out from the competition. Zeus is an ideal option for gamers who hope to win a huge amount of money as it has a progressive jackpot.
- Provides free spins
- Created by WMS, a reputable gaming developer
- Compelling and intriguing theme
- No integrated bonus games
- Wheel of fortune
Wheel of Fortune is a slot machine with five reels and 720 ways to win. This slot developed by IGT does not have a progressive jackpot; however, it offers players with 2-5x multiplier and three bonus spins you can retrigger. Although the game gives frequent payouts to players, the value of the prize is quite low.
- Accessible on mobile devices
- Availability of additional games
- Offers appealing RTP
- It is not as easy as some other slot games
- 5 dragons
5 Dragons is a straightforward but excellent game. This slot game by Aristocrat has five reels and 25 paylines. The mythical-themed game comes with 243 ways to win. Hence, 5 Dragons provides players with a high chance of winning bigger prizes. Also, players get to enjoy a bonus round that triggers free spins.
- Availability of bonus and free games
- Attractive graphics
- No progressive jackpot
- Mega Fortune
This slot game by NetEnt is a progressive jackpot that you can access anytime and anywhere as it is available on mobile devices. Mega Fortune has three rows, five reels, and 25 paylines. Players enjoy bonus features like free spins, wilds, and bonus wheels that can enable you to win a progressive jackpot that pays a huge amount of money.
- Features multiplier and free spins
- Big jackpot prize
- No re-spin feature
Buffalo is a slot game with five reels and 1,024 ways to win developed by Aristocrat in 2012. It offers players regular payouts and exciting gaming sessions with its cutting-edge graphics and aesthetic. Additionally, players enjoy bonus features that increase the chance of winning.
- Features bonus features like wilds, free spins, and multipliers
- High-end graphics and design
- Inaccessible in some countries
|Wheel of Fortune
How to Improve your Winning Chances in Slots?
Even though it is impossible to ensure you always win at slot games, there are some tips to follow to improve your winning chances:.
- Play at trustworthy casinos: This is the most important step to improving your chance of winning online slot games. Ensure you play at an online casino that is licensed and regulated. This is because a casino with a good reputation guarantees that you can withdraw your earnings after you have won.
- Play at casino sites with high return to player rate (RTP): The majority of new players are unaware that most online casinos have a fixed payout percentage. Rather than put too much focus on a casino site’s aesthetic, you should look out for casino sites that offer players a high RTP.
- Learn the rules of the game: Another way to boost your possibility of winning a slot game is to learn the strategies of playing the game. You can test slot games by playing the demo version. Doing this is an effective method of getting a good understanding before staking your money.
- Take advantage of the bonuses: Online slot games provide players with bonuses like free spins and no-deposit bonuses. You can make use of these bonuses to extend your gameplay time as they give extra cash to place bets with. Nevertheless, some of these incentives come with wagering requirements you must fulfill before you can cash out your winnings. Therefore, read these conditions before you start playing.
- Read the paytable in detail: You can find detailed information about a casino’s slot game winning combinations, incentives, and usage guidelines on a paytable. Therefore, before selecting the slot game to play, go over the description to be sure of the winning patterns.
- Start out with a small amount of money: Online slot payouts are multiplied by the bet you are placing. So it can be tempting to play games with high stakes because of the high reward. But this is a bad idea, especially if you are a beginner. Rather, start with a small bet so you get more time to learn about the game. As you feel more knowledgeable and confident, then you can raise the stake.
Real Money vs. Free Online Slot games
A free online slot game is there purely for fun, while real-money slots give players the chance of getting a payout. The following are some distinctions between real-money slots and those played for free.
|You must register and open a player account before you can play for real money.
|You can play directly without registration.
|You must deposit funds in your casino account before you can place bets.
|Do not require a cash deposit.
|Players have the chance to win huge rewards.
|There is no possibility of winning money.
|A wide variety of game titles to players.
|There is restricted access to the game library.
|Financial loss can happen.
|There is no risk of losing money.
|Players enjoy incentives like welcome bonuses, free spins, loyalty rewards, and many more.
|Zero bonus offers.